South Africa to launch early warning system with Nigeria

– South Africa to launch early warning system with Nigeria;
– The monitor would help prevent violence;
– Xenophobic Attack not targeted at Nigerians only.

Following the current xenophobic attacks in South Africa and in a bid to track and deter such attacks, the South African government has said it will launch an “early warning” system with Nigeria. Revealing this, South Africa’s Foreign Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane said the new monitor would “help prevent violence” against foreigners and their businesses as she met with Geoffrey Onyeama, her Nigerian counterpart on Monday.

Group of people protesting against the xenophobic attacks in South Africa

READ ALSO: State of Emergency in New York, Virginia, New Jersey as Blizzard Strikes

It should be recalled that the last month, more than 20 shops were targeted in Atteridgeville, 120km west of Pretoria, while in Rosettenville, an area south of the commercial capital Johannesburg, residents attacked at least 12 houses. Reacting to the violence, the Nigerian government called for the African Union to step in and stop the “xenophobic attacks”, claiming 20 Nigerians were killed in South Africa last year.

READ ALSO: Looming Snowstorm Delays Trump-Merkel Meeting

Nkoana-Mashabane told reporters it was untrue that the attacks were specifically “targeting Nigerians” adding citizens of other countries were also affected. She said the monitor would meet every three months and would be made up of representatives from both countries including immigration officials, business associations, and civil society groups.

Onyeama said he had received assurances that Nigerians in South Africa would be able to live in peace and called for an end to the “mass attacks”.

READ ALSO: Brexit: Scottish leader seeks UK as EU divorce looms

2 thoughts on “South Africa to launch early warning system with Nigeria

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *