1 dead after Excessive carbon monoxide exposure in Michigan hotel pool

  • Deceased victim confirmed as 13-year-old from Niles;
  • Five children found unconscious at the Quality Inn & Suites hotel pool;
  • Two police officers been treated for excessive carbon monoxide exposure;

One person has been confirmed dead and eight others hospitalized after a group of people were found unconscious around a hotel’s indoor pool due to excessive carbon monoxide exposure in Michigan’s southern region.

1 dead after Excessive carbon monoxide exposure in Michigan hotel pool

Officials of the fire service believe the cause of the death unconsciousness was due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The eight unconscious individuals were treated at local hospitals, including first responders who helped the victims according to police in the Niles, Michigan, a town of some 11,000 just north of the state’s borer with Indiana.

A spokeswoman for Lakeland Hospital in Niles, Jessica Hines, confirmed that one other person was “confirmed dead on arrival” at the hospital.

Authorities in of the Niles Police Department identified the deceased as 13-year-old Bryan Douglas Watts of the Niles.

Police said six other children were hurried to Memorial South Bend Hospital in Indiana for medical care.

According to Niles police, five of children were found unconscious alongside Watts at the Quality Inn & Suites hotel pool. They are about 12 to 14 years old.

Police noted that another child who had just left the pool area was found unresponsive in a first-floor room of the hotel.

Niles police officer and Berrien County deputy are also been treated for carbon monoxide-related exposure.

When police arrived at the hotel around 10 a.m. ET, carbon monoxide levels at the hotel were 800 parts per million. The US standards for carbon monoxide are 35 parts per million for a one-hour exposure.

Captain Don Wise of the Niles Fire Department linked the incident to a faulty pool heater of the hotel.

“The ventilation system on the heater had issues, the exhaust was not functioning properly,” said Wise. “Our mechanical inspector verified that. The hotel is shut down now until repairs are made.”

‘What is Carbon monoxide’?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that is produced when a fuel is burned. When excessive carbon monoxide is present in the air, it can replace the oxygen in red blood cells and can lead to severe tissue damage and even death.

Owners of the Quality brand, Choice Hotels, released a statement about the incident, saying the firm is “working closely with local officials to manage the situation. … Our highest priority is always the safety and well-being of our guests.”

 

 

 

Credits: CNN, stingged.com

3 thoughts on “1 dead after Excessive carbon monoxide exposure in Michigan hotel pool

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *